Sunday, June 28, 2009

Golf

Mike, Lexi and I went up yesterday to golf an 18 hole round with my brother Tim. It was a beautiful sunny day and I had planned this earlier in the week hoping Mike would be able to go and knowing Lexi and Mike would enjoy spending time with me and my family doing something they love.

From the beginning, we set up the competition . . . I carted up with Tim and Lexi and Mike were paired together. This course, River Oaks, was narrow and spotted with hazards everywhere, so I could tell that I would need to be consistent to make a decent score and not embarass myself and frustrate Mike. Keep in mind, I just came off a round the night before with Mike where I missed the ball 4 times (2 times in a row) and in our world, this is unacceptable. Mike would say that there is no excuse for missing the ball and I would agree but recognize it is a simple lack of focus and concentration on my part and unfortunately I have a hard time focusing . . . a lot! So, it came down to Lexi and I up against each other, keep in mind she does usually beat me by atleast 4-6 strokes and we were all out for gross score, so I had to step up!

The first hole was a total embarassment as I couldn't seem to make any solid contact, I gave myself a courtesy 10, Mike said it was a 12, but I was too flustered to look back and re-count over and over. Hole #2 was better, but not great . . . if I can call it a double or triple bogey I feel like it at least has some significance. I finally caught fire after hitting the green on the first par 3 and sinking my 30 foot putt for birdie. I found my confidence. It amazes me as Lexi just plays each hole without a lot of stress or worry, I wish I could do that. We ended nine holes with seven strokes in my favor.

On the back, Lexi came on and with each hole narrowed the score. Oh, and the loser was set to do dishes at Tim's house, I just wanted to win, knew I would end of doing dishes either way.

Things were staying tight and as we approached the last few holes. Tim thought I had a 50/50 chance with two to go. He gave me a slight advantage on one of the remaining holes and her on the other . . . I take it he must have been sizing up both our games the whole time.

At one point, while I layed on the grass to feel the sun (with beer in hand) Tim commented that he liked Lexi's chances . . . it didn't stop me from enjoying the sunshine and my beer but did ignite some spark in me to pick it up!

Lexi came back with a 2 stoke lead going into the last hole. Teeing up the hole 18, another par 3, thinking about my horrific sand experience from a hole back (5 or 6 whacks at it in the sand, we all argued what it was - I was told to take a courtesy 10 and get the heck off the green but did NOT and finished with an 11 on that horrific par 4). As Tim said, "That will always mess up a round!" Regardless, I am a competitor, and as Mike has taught me and pulling from my competitive Justice spirit I found that desire to finish strong and Never Say Die!

Well, Lexi teed off and hit left - almost OB. I hit slightly left of the green myself but with good distance and with a shot at a reasonable chip and putt to the hole. Lexi hit her shot short and then short again only to land her ball in a hole (she still is my kid and I felt bad for her, but realized this was my chance). I chipped about 8 feet out and unfortunately left my putt short for par to win (as Tim would say you miss 90% of the putts you leave short). I finished with bogie and Lexi left a shorter putt for double to win short too, she tapped in to tie! What a round of golf - I truly love the competition. I can't let my kid beat me! :D JK - I love to see her do well, but like to stay competitive!

Well, after we made it back to Tim's and after an attempt at "rock, paper, scissors" to break the tie - I ended up helping Tim with dinner and did a little clean-up as predicted. Now my child, well she did nothing! Oh to be 15 again!

It still was a great round of golf! Mike had a great time and I absolutely loved seeing my brother and playing golf with him. I don't get to spend the time I like with them and so I will take every moment and cherish it! Keep in mind . . . Tim, Lexi and I are three members of what Matt and Tim and calling, "Team Ram Rod" to play in the upcoming parrothead tourney in Aug so we must get up again soon to practice. Or as Mike would suggest, I just need to get to the driving range to work through some of "my issues".

Golf . . . "what a ball!"

No comments:

Post a Comment