Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Happy Anniversary Mike!

On July 10, 1993, 16 years ago, Mike and I were married in my backyard with our friends and family there to witness it. We were absolutely in love and although a little anxious, ready to take on the "big world" outside of that small community we called home. Looking back through our wedding album I can't believe how young we looked. I absolutely loved my wedding dress, it suited me perfectly then, went with my big hair, I need to pull it out and see if it still fits so I can feel like a princess again (there is a lot of girl in me)!

Some of the moments that still stick in my mind some 16 years later would be walking down "the aisle" (or grass where my brothers and I played some competitive wiffleball and kickball games) and seeing all of our friends and family there to support us. We had a big wedding, I think it was expected with me being the only girl. My parents had spent many hours preparing our yard to be "perfect"and it was beautiful that day. I remember it being windy and was worried about my hair, pretty sure I had to touch everything back up before the reception. Walking down the aisle I felt at ease seeing Mike, standing alongside his brother and good friends, looking understandably nervous but oh so handsome. I knew I was a lucky woman and was proud that I would be Mrs. Michael Gagon.

A friend of the family married us and as in most weddings the crowd stands for the bride and then asks them to be seated for the ceremony . . . Mr. Wakefield forgot to tell them all to sit down, so they stood the whole ceremony! Quite funny now. My youngest brother David served as the ring bearer and he was cute and sweet, although didn't smile much, actually looked like he was pouting. I remember David's childhood vividly, from the time he was born when I was given a lot of responsibility to care for him up until he carried our rings down the aisle for us. Dave was always the angel in our family with his blonde hair and fair skin, he still is but I attribute it more to his loving disposition and compassion for everyone.
My friends stood in my line and I planned out the typical "bridesmaid" dresses for them . . . pink, frilly, bows, matching shoes . . . I wonder whatever happened to those dresses? I laugh now, but after seeing the movie 27 Dresses recently, I realize they were not that bad. It is funny how pink has always suited me, I was rough and tough with my brothers my whole life and played sports and thought of myself as a "tom boy", but I still loved bows and frill and pink!

I remember more than anything feeling so incredibly lucky to have a man in my life that had been there for me through our high school years, taught me to believe in myself and never accepted anything but my very best in all I did. He taught me to work hard and be proud of my accomplishments, and I know we have both learned that our marriage, like so many others, is hard work and we are so proud of where we are at in our lives today. I had complete faith in him then that he would support and honor me throughout our life and I still believe that these 16 years later. I love you Mike . . . here's to 16 more years and counting!

No comments:

Post a Comment