Saturday, June 26, 2010

Gratitude for my family


I often lay awake at night for hours trying to find ways to get myself to sleep . . . for my sake, for Mike's sake, for my kids' sake . . . for heaven's sake.

I try reading, watching tv, listening to music . . . most usually work, but today for the first time after true inspiration, I try writing.

A song I have heard again recently, under very different circumstances, has struck a chord with me in a way I cannot quite explain, it is "The Leader of the Band" by Dan Fogelberg.

I went to San Diego with my mom and my sister-in-laws recently and heard Dr. Wayne Dyer's daughter sing this song to him as he was reminded that at 70 years old his body was suffering from terminal cancer. It has been with me since, so tonight as I struggle with insomnia, I will comment on it.

I am not sure who the leader of the band is in my life. I sense I lead many a band, followed a few leaders, well and un-well, but whether or not we produced "music" is a question left unanswered.

I was given a gift by my family, the Justice family, that I cannot deny. My father, my mother, and all my brothers. Each one taught me many lessons that I am so grateful for and will cherish forever.

My brothers may have lead a different path, or a similar one trod differently or chosen at a different time and circumstances, but we stay connected very deeply on these paths we lead in our lives.

Thank you dad for your stories of history, you taught me to appreciate our past and that we can learn and always acquire knowledge. I am a learner and a teacher for that reason.

Thank you mom for your sincere love, shown in your own way, thank you for your beautiful spirit, it has guided me throughout my life in a way unknown to me, but a way that is benefitting me every moment of my life. Thank you for your inspiration, I have found my soul, because of you I can give back to others.

Thank you Mark for your sense of humor and timing. I have always and still am so proud of you and your brilliance.

Thank you Chris for your sweet quiet spirit, I know and can feel your love.

Thank you Matt and Tim for your spontaneous fun and gregariousnous, wow - good times!

Thank you Mikey for teaching me that with perseverance we can accomplish great things.

Thank you Dave, our baby angel, you saved mom, I know this. I gained a sense of what it was like to care for another person and soul when you came into our lives and I thank you for this.

I am gratitude and gratitude guides my life.

I read somewhere that we should give everyone a chance to show us their good side, it may be a LONG while, but they will eventually show us their good side. I have seen the good side of every last one of my family members and I love them so.

2 comments:

  1. Jenny I admire you so much for posting this!! So often we forget to look inside of people and situations and find the good in everything. In fact I think that you not being able to sleep last night and being able to look so deep inside yourself and your heart led you to something very good! You forgot the most important person...You!! You are such a great mother and wife. I look up to you jen, and am so proud of all that you do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. we must be kindred. i too suffer from insomnia and at times get super frustrated. and yet, some days it seems like the insomnia comes as an answer to prayer, things i can sort through and think about and appreciate in a different light.

    as far as insomnia, i have been listening to books on tape, and surprisingly it is helping me fall asleep loads faster than usual. xoxo

    ReplyDelete